With an appealing physical outlook and delicious taste, plantain has over the years stood out as a diverse food to savor with every taste. This food has been coming to the culinary rescue of many Nigerians for a long time.
Jumia Travel shares 6 of the diverse ways plantain can be cooked into enviable mouth-watering Nigerian dishes.
It’s a rich, delicious and very easy meal to prepare. It is prepared with unripe or ripe plantain, but you can combine both ripe and unripe plantain to achieve a faint sugary taste. The meal consists mainly of palm oil (not too much but just enough to color the meal), fish (dried, fresh or smoked), ground crayfish and meat or peppered snail to serve.
You can choose to add vegetables, as much as you want. Fluted pumpkins (Ugwu) or spinach is a good choice.
GIZZDODO (GIZZARD AND PLANTAINS)
If you were not a plantain lover before tasting this meal, you will definitely fall head over heels with plantain after it.
Gizzdodo is an inviting combination of plantain and gizzard in sauce. It’s an easy dish to prepare and can be served as a side dish to rice dishes like fried rice, jollof rice, coconut rice and white rice. It can also be eaten as a meal. It is mainly prepared with ripe plantains, chicken or turkey gizzard, vegetable oil, seasoning and grounded red pepper (tatashe), bonnet/habanero (rodo) and fresh tomatoes (these form the sauce the plantain and gizzard will be mixed and cooked in).
A variation of this meal for fish lovers is using fish (fresh, dried or smoked) in place of or alongside gizzard.
Plantains can be boiled, fried or roasted (boli or bole) and eaten alongside fried eggs, sauce, rice (fried, jollof, coconut or white rice), Ewa Agoyin, beans or beans porridge. Either way, it’ll leave your taste buds reeling from the delectable taste. Roasted plantains can be prepared at home in an oven or open grill.
BEANS AND PLANTAIN PORRIDGE
This meal is as easy as adding plantains to the normal beans dish we prepare with palm oil and dry pepper. It’s a tasty and palatable dish prepared with ripe plantains and beans. It’s a popular dish and one of the best dishes to use to get your children to eat beans. The ripe plantains give the meal a sweet taste. Chopped fluted pumpkin leaves (ugwu) can also be added to finish the meal; you can top the meal with tomato stew or serve as is. The meal can be eaten with bread or rice.
The plantain mosa and plantain moin and moin are two dishes born out of the need to avoid wasting over-ripe plantains. They are both very worthwhile alternatives to throwing out over-ripe plantains.
Plantain mosa have been quite popular in the small chops section of parties and have a sweet taste similar to that of puff puff, but with a plantain flavor. It is prepared by blending diced over-ripe plantains, bonnet pepper, baker’s yeast and warm water together, then adding all-purpose flour and salt to the batter to blend for a second time until the mixture is thick (but not too thick). The mixture is left to rise and froth, then beaten once more before being scooped with a teaspoon and deep fried in cooking vegetable oil till it’s golden brown. It’s quite an easy meal to prepare.
PLANTAIN MOIN MOIN (UKPO OGEDE)
Plantain moin moin is similar to the plantain mosa in preparation, but rather than frying the over-ripe plantain mixture, the mixture is steamed. Fish or fresh prawns can be mixed in with the blended mixture, alongside vegetable oil or palm oil. It is then contained in a foil, moin moin leaf or nylon, and cooked in a pot of water or in a steamer until it solidifies.
The meal is usually eaten as a snack or as a meal with custard, pap, oat meal or rice.
More from my site
- 10 Times DJ Cuppy Rock Ankara Attire that Will Totally Make You In Love with Her - November 17, 2017
- Wizkid and Davido Takes Their Beef Fight to Dubai, Watch How Wizkid And Davido’s Crew Attack Sarkodie As They Clash Violently In Dubai - November 17, 2017
- Music Entrepreneur Davido Signed New Artist to DMW Label - November 16, 2017
- Lamborghini Gives Pope Francis Personalized Car as Gift, But Plans to Auction it for Charity - November 15, 2017
- Reekado Banks to Hold his ” Thank You Concert ” at Ibadan Countdown Festival 2017 - November 15, 2017
- Organisers of Ibadan Countdown Festival 2017 Unveils Activities for this Year Festival - November 15, 2017
- Meet Yvonne Nelson’s Baby Daddy, Who Is A British Photographer - November 15, 2017
- American Singer August Alsina Blasts his Record Label in Twitter Rant ” Tell My Trash Record Label Def Jam to Free Me ” - November 15, 2017
- 5 Points To Protect Your Website From Hackers - November 15, 2017
- Internet Went Frenzy as Wizkid Subtly Use Simi To Shade Davido - November 14, 2017