You probably haven’t thought much of certain details about rice, right? After all, all that matter is that it’s a delicious cooking staple that’s readily available, relatively cheap and able to be eaten alongside a variety of dishes.
Jumia Travel , the leading online travel agency shares 9 interesting things you probably didn’t know about rice, you never know when the information might just come in handy.
Rice Can Last For Years – Unless it’s Brown
Uncooked white rice can stay fresh and edible for anywhere between 10 and 30 years (if stored properly). However, uncooked brown rice has a shelf life of just three to six months because of its bran coating which tends to oxidize within this time.
Rice Can Poison You
It can if it’s not stored properly. When cooked rice is left at room temperature, the spores in the uncooked rice that survived cooking tend to grow bacteria that can eventually cause food poisoning. To avoid this, you it is advisable to cook as much rice as you’ll eat, or cool leftover cooked rice in the fridge and reheat to steaming hot when you want to eat again.
All White Rice Starts Brown
You probably already knew this, but then maybe you didn’t. All white rice is just brown rice that has been rid of its bran coating and polished.
Rice Grows Everywhere except Antarctica
Rice is adaptable and easy to grow, which makes it possible to grow almost anywhere. It also has a very high yield which makes it a terrific crop to grow to feed a large population. Just a seed of rice can result in over 3,000 grains.
Toyota and Honda Are Named After Rice
These two Japanese brand cars were named after rice. Toyota actually means “Bountiful Rice Field” and Honda means “The Main Rice Field”.
Rice Needs a Lot Of Water To Grow
Rice cultivations utilize about 5,000 litres of water to produce just 1kg of rice!
Eating Rice Can Actually Make You Happier – Really!
Of course, eating something as delicious and satisfying as rice can typically make you happy, but aside this, carbohydrates like rice trigger the production of serotonin in your brain. Serotonin is a hormone known to boost mood and help reduce your appetite. Plus, rice is additionally easy to prepare, relatively cheap and nutritionally rewarding. Who wouldn’t be happy about that?
Wild Rice Exists but It Isn’t Actually Rice
Wild rice is a distant relative to every other rice eaten today, most of which are in the Oryza sativa family. Wild rice is part of the Zizania genus and its grains are harvested from marsh grasses grown in North America and China.
The Great Wall of China is Held Together By Sticky Rice
While the Great Wall was being built during the Ming dynasty in the 15th and 16th centuries, workers used a porridge made with rice along with calcium carbonate as a mortar to hold the wall’s stones together.
Photo Credit : Google Image
More from my site
- 5 Reasons Why Your Business Needs A Blog : How to Create Your Blog or Site in 5 Minutes with WordPress - November 21, 2017
- Bluehost Black Friday 2017 Live : Special BlueHost Black Friday Coupons 80% OFF - November 21, 2017
- All What You Need to Know About Mother of Wizkid’s Third Child - November 20, 2017
- Dancehall Singer Burna Boy Invites by Police for Having Hand in Mr.2kay’s Robbery Attack at Eko Hotel - November 20, 2017
- Nigerian Pop Star Wizkid Welcomes Third Child in Six Years - November 20, 2017
- Tiwa Savage Did Not Owns ” Malo ” Song, But You? - November 20, 2017
- 10 Times DJ Cuppy Rock Ankara Attire that Will Totally Make You In Love with Her - November 17, 2017
- Wizkid and Davido Takes Their Beef Fight to Dubai, Watch How Wizkid And Davido’s Crew Attack Sarkodie As They Clash Violently In Dubai - November 17, 2017
- Music Entrepreneur Davido Signed New Artist to DMW Label - November 16, 2017
- Lamborghini Gives Pope Francis Personalized Car as Gift, But Plans to Auction it for Charity - November 15, 2017