The largest digital music streaming platform in Africa continent Spinlet, with over 2 million downloads up till date have appointment his first ever International Standard Recording Code (ISRC) Manager in Nigeria by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), the organisation representing the recording industry internationally.
The status empowers Spinlet to assign unique ISRC codes to recordings on behalf of Spinlet clients including artists, labels, and other producers of sound and video recordings in Nigeria, in a move towards further standardization. It will also see the company engage with the recording industry to ensure that local practitioners further understand the benefits of the internationally standardised ISRC identifier.
Standardizing Track Identification
International Standard Recording Code is the international identification system for sound recordings and music video recordings. It is required by most digital distribution companies and download sites to sell content online. Each individual recording is given a unique 12-digit identification code based on country, registrant, and year, removing ambiguity and simplifying the management of rights when recordings are used across different formats, countries, distribution channels, and products.
Since the creation of the system, the International ISRC Agency has appointed National Agencies in 57 territories, and Spinlet is the first ever company in Nigeria to be given this status.
In 2014, for the very first time, digital music formats were reported to have generated more revenue globally than physical formats. The growth in digital, accelerated by the shift to streaming, means that digital royalty tracking in the music industry is becoming more important than ever before. Each ISRC gives a unique and permanent identifier for a specific recording, regardless of the format on which it appears (CD, audio file, etc.) and can be used to automatically identify recordings for royalty payments.
“International Standard Recording Code is hugely beneficial in music identification, particularly in digital,” said Nkiru Balonwu, CEO of Spinlet. “We have for some time now been looking at ways of adding value to the local music industry – and growing its capacity in terms of reach and standards. One of the ways we have previously done this is through seminars and workshops, which we will continue to hold, but today I am particularly proud to announce that Spinlet has been appointed as Nigeria’s first ever ISRC Manager, and look forward to helping to implement this valuable system.”
Spinlet is the largest music streaming and download platform in Africa with almost 2 million global downloads to date. The company is expanding internationally to increase its global reach and expanding its content offering to include original digital content.
For more information visit www.spinlet.com.
Credit: Africa Music Law
More from my site
- The Aristocrat Out With Another Danceable Song ” Funaab Girl ” (Freesyle) + Download The Aristocrat — Funaab Girl (Freestyle) Ft Bravoor - September 23, 2017
- Have You Ever Forget What It Feels Like to Be In Love, Tiwa Savage Will Remind You In Her Sugarcane EP - September 22, 2017
- Which Nigerian Artistes Had the Best International Music Collaboration in 2017 - September 21, 2017
- From Mr Eazi to Davido, Now D’banj! Eedris Abdulkareem Had Harsh Words for D’Banj, While Glorified Don Jazzy - September 21, 2017
- Whatever He Touches Turns Gold! Wizkid & Drake’s Romance Hit Song ” One Dance ” Breaks Guinness Book of Records - September 21, 2017
- Global Sound! Afrobeat Goes Global as Wizkid Takes Future on New Ride of African Sound in ” Everytime ” - September 20, 2017
- French Montana & Ty Dolla Sign Revamp Mr Eazi’s ” Leg Over ” Remix with Major Lazer with New Flavour - September 16, 2017
- Ice Prince Returns Back to His Hip-Hop Root in ” Owonikoko ” Featuring Olamide - September 16, 2017
- The Aristocrat Releases Visual for His ” Wo’s ” Viral Cover by Olamide, Directed by Mofti Pro - September 15, 2017
- Developing Story : Rising Star CKay Rides on the Free Publicity of ” Who The Fu**k Is CKay ” Hullabalu, As He Releases ” Who The Fu**k Is CKay ” EP - September 9, 2017