All criminal charges brought against Empire star Jussie Smollett, who had been accused of staging a phony hate crime, racist and homophobic attack against himself have been dropped.
The Empire actor attended a court hearing in Chicago on Tuesday, where a judge reportedly dismissed the case. Smollett told police he was attacked by two men in the Illinois city on 29 January.
His attorneys maintained on Tuesday that the actor was attacked by two unknown individuals.
And that is that. Case closed. pic.twitter.com/uvYgVCYVI8
— #WHATEVERITTAKES! (@UncleTimi) March 26, 2019
Smollett’s lawyers announced the news in a statement where they said he was a ‘vilified’ victim. Smollett, 36, was facing up to 48 years behind bars on 16 felony counts of filing a false police report.