The year 2015, is an amazing year in Nigeria music industry because the industry continue to keep its momentum as leader of African music Industry. The year 2016 may still hold a lot of uncertainty for the music industry, but that doesn’t mean we should not makes some predictions about what the year is going to bring for fans and the artist themselves.
It has been an interesting moment in Nigeria right now with musicians making the headlines of newspapers and media blogs sites for stealing of each others music ideal and also calling each others out on national television and others.
Before I go further, you all heard about the beef drama between rap genius Olamide and maverick producer Don Jazzy, multi-platinum artist Davido and talented dance-hall game-changer Cynthia Morgan, veteran rapper and baddest MCs Vector and one hit wonder Ycee, talented beat maker Shizzi and Tunde Ednut, where Shizzi accuses Tunde of stealing is idea for his latest song ‘’ Kosowo ‘’ and lastly the latest drama between underrated talented act Dammy Krane and rockstar Wizkid, which has later resolve by music legend 2baba and super eagles striker Obafemi Martins.
Nevertheless, this post is not meant for beef drama between our musicians, this post is meant for the 2016 Nigeria Music Industry Prediction. Am not a prophet, but musicians open your ear, industry expert take note, investors take note and music lovers you need to take not also.
Guys this year in Nigeria music industry going to be crazy! Are you Ready because Am Ready.
GY 2016 Nigeria Music Industry Prediction
- Music Streaming Business will Change this Year: The streaming business in Nigeria will change across the board. The streaming business model has been dominated with Itunes, Apple Music, Spotify and our own streaming platforms such as MTN Music Plus, Spinlet, Cloud 9, My Music Ng and others will wear new look because it going to be a good fairground for record labels and artists.
- Chocolate City & Mavin Records will Gain More International Recognition in USA: The two record label is still the most structure and biggest music house in Nigeria, though the Nigeria music industry is becoming highly relevant in front of the international market and also with American artists such as Snoop Dogg, Jay Z, Kanye West, Drake, Chris Brown, Meek Mill, Alicia Keys, Swizz Beatz, Miss Elliot and others.
With the outburst of Nigeria music into the international market in recent years, there are several opportunities waiting for Nigeria artists and record label to grab in international market, while Chocolate City & Mavin Records are only label that command that respect.
Mavin is arguably one of hottest record label of year 2015 and the label has really shape the music scene with their artists such as Korede Bello, Reekado Banks and Di’Ja, who has causing damages for the past 15 months while Chocolate City are still ocean that other labels cannot concurred easily. It’s a wake-up call for other local labels such as YBNL, EME Records, DB Records, Made Men Music Group and others see opportunities beyond their environment. I did not list D’banj here because he has already tapping some dollars with international brand through his brand relevance’s.
- This Year will be Breakthrough for Entertainment Lawyers: This year many lawyers will see opportunity in music industry because more contracts will be signed, more performance contracts will be signed, tours dates and others, but there will be legal dispute and the intervention of lawyers will be need. This year, more legal lawsuits will occur, artist breached of contract and digital distribution contract will also occur and it will give artist and labels cash or money in exchange for their intellectual property right.
- Bez, Brymo, Timi Dakolo & Cobhams will realize their quality: Timi Dakolo’s winning 3 awards at just concluded Headies Awards 2015, is a wake-up call for artists that are not in mainstream pop culture to find their true music valve. Though it will take time to restore good music throughout the music industry. Music will still not restore its value by the traditional patterns and digital distribution services.
- Big Records Label will take Control of its Distribution: This year, major labels will take 100% of their own distribution, instead of waiting for the second or third-party tech companies that always after their own best interest.
- Free Downloading will still take Control of Online Music Distribution: Online music sites and blogs will still hold the dominance supremacy of distributing music content online. Labels and artists will still believe in given out their materials for free through top music platforms such as NotJustOk, TooXclusives , Jaduda, Naijaloaded, Pulse Music, Gistyinka Music, 360Nobs and others.
- Major Corporate Brands will Sponsors More Music Concert: Last year will see one of the biggest music concert tagged ‘’ Access Mavin Concert ‘’ by the Mavin Records, which was sponsored by one of Nigeria leading commercial banks Access Banks.
- Digital Music Sales and Physical Sales will Received Low Patronage: Both digital and physical music sales will continue to head in downward, while endorsement deal, shows performances will still be the biggest revenue for labels and artists.
- More Fight between our Musicians: Since late last year, we have since several beef drama between our various musicians, while this year also will record several beef drama in the industry. Several artists that are still struggling with their career will voice out their frustration toward their fellow colleagues that might steal from them.
- Artists will be great for Publicity and Image Branding: This strategy has been well used by telecommunications companies, while MTN recently used Tiwa Savage, Saka, Kcee, Sound Sultan and others to encourage their subscribers to register their lines. The likes of D’banj, Don Jazzy, Tiwa Savage, Seyi Shaw, Yemi Alade, record label Chocolate City are getting it right with their image branding on social media, while few others are getting it wrong on this strategy.
This year there will be more jobs and income will come for musicians to promote other corporate brands product and services.
- MTN Music Plus will still Own Exclusive Right of New Music Release: Over the past 18 months, MTN Music Plus has hijack the power of digital streaming and downloading market away from Spinet and they will continue to dominate the exclusive right of new music.
- More International Collaboration with International Artists: The success D’banj’s ‘’ Oliver Twist ‘’,P-Square’s ‘’ Beautiful Onyinye ‘’ remix with Rick Ross, Wizkid’s ‘’ Ojuelegba ‘’remix with Drake and Davido’s ‘’ Fans Mi ‘’ with Meek Mill and others will gives others musicians avenue to sell new sound to their fans. With regardless of how popular and successful Nigerian artistes are across the African continent, they still need to ink that collaboration with heavyweight such as Jay Z, Beyonce, Kanye West, Rihanna, John Legend, Chris Brown, Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj and others.
The above are my 2016 Nigeria Music Industry Prediction. Let’s wait and see by January 2017, which of my prediction did not come to reality.
Guys did you have your own 2016 prediction? Am waiting to hear from you, in fact am curious about your predictions. You can drop your own prediction on the comment session below.
More from my site
- Forget Wizkid and Davido! Olamide Is Nigeria’s Highest Paid Artist — Alex Ozone - September 25, 2017
- Beat FM Lagos, OAP Toolz Oniru Confirms Pregnancy Loss With New Photos - September 25, 2017
- Kim Kardashian Revealed Epic Revelation How She Fell In Love with Kanye West - September 25, 2017
- Singer Skales Revealed Amazing Secret How Olamide Saves His Career - September 25, 2017
- Copy Of The Legal Termination Letter Peter Okoye Sent To Their Lawyer, Festus Keyamo Over P-Square Split Contractual Agreement - September 25, 2017
- P-Square is Over! The Untold Truth Behind Peter and Paul Okoye Split Saga - September 25, 2017
- The Aristocrat Out With Another Danceable Song ” Funaab Girl ” (Freesyle) + Download The Aristocrat — Funaab Girl (Freestyle) Ft Bravoor - September 23, 2017
- Have You Ever Forget What It Feels Like to Be In Love, Tiwa Savage Will Remind You In Her Sugarcane EP - September 22, 2017
- Which Nigerian Artistes Had the Best International Music Collaboration in 2017 - September 21, 2017
- From Mr Eazi to Davido, Now D’banj! Eedris Abdulkareem Had Harsh Words for D’Banj, While Glorified Don Jazzy - September 21, 2017