The year 2016 has been very crazy, buzzing and busy year in Nigeria music industry. The year started with high occurrence of beefs from Don Jazzy vs Olamide to Ycee vs Vector, marital drama from Tiwa Savage vs TeeBillz, baby mama drama such as Davido vs Dele Momodu, Wizkid vs Danilo, 2face Idibia vs Adeniyi Pero, Mayorkun‘s YouTube views and several others.
In less down 5 months of the year, the industry has witness fights between record label and their signed artistes. This kind of clash usually pits arts against the business part of the music and has record unusual kind of lawsuits, label splits and wrangle.
For others, everything goes well and amicably, while others involve in legal paper, police involvement, others get grace, accusations, public posturing, sob tales, legal suits and court injunctions.
GY Music List, will take you on ride on all top artists that has recorded issues with their label which led to exist door from the label.
GY Music List : Full List of Nigerian Artistes who Part Ways with their Record Labels in 2016
Ice Prince vs Chocolate City
According to Ice Prince, he said his contract expired 2 years ago with Chocolate City but he stayed on affiliated agreement with the label.
Few weeks ago, he made known to the public that he has part ways with label to focus on his own imprint ” Super Cool Cats ”, which is one of independent label under Chocolate City.
Milli vs Chocolate City
The rising rapper Milli part ways with Chocolate City due to his unhappiness from the label that prevent him of not releasing music, and dropping his projects.
He is currently on the verge of announcing a new record label, and movement named Up Next Universe.
Saeon vs Baseline Records
Rising star Saeon was free from her contract with Baseline Records, due to creative difference between her and the label. Though she accused the label of lack of support for her artistic direction and progression. She is currently working on creating a new imprint and identity.
Duo of former YBNL soldiers Lil Kesh and Viktor was freed from the label, after their contract of 2-years expired. Lil Kesh and Viktor contract was not renew or extension agreement but both parties move amicably. Lil Kesh has float his own label YAGI Records with management under YBNL, though Viktor is yet to reveal his own label, movement or identity.
Few days ago, Runtown terminate his contract with Eric Manny Entertainment, citing lack of professional working environment, threat to life, money problems, gross disrespect from his label CEO, Prince Okwudili Umenyiora [aka Dilly], the C.E.O of Dilly Motors.
In may 2014, Skales was signed unto Baseline Records, label managed by industry veterans Howie T and Dipo Abdul. Source disclosed that after a year with the label without any investment, he move on with his career. However, he’s currently in police custody alongside with his manager Osagie Osarenkhoe, for being investigated for fraud by the label.
Debie Rise vs 800 Records
Former Nigeria Idols contestant and rising star Debie Rise part ways with her label 800 Records, after they repudiated her deal with them, due to her request to see a record of the financial investment carried out in her career.
Baci vs Triple MG
Rising star Baci part ways with Ubi Franklin and Iyanya‘s led label Triple MG due to verbal agreement between bother parties. Having spend 6-years with the label without any contract agreement Baci decides to walk away from the label.
The pretty singer Chidinma contract with Capital Hills was not extended after its expired early this year. Both parties decide to keep mute about the affair, but amicably parted ways. There are rumors of her joining Flavour‘s 2nite Entertainment.
Barely few weeks ago, singer Zeez was sued by his ex-label, HF Music, for breach of contract, owing to his alleged refusal to record new music. He lost the case, and was ordered by the court to pay damages to the label to the tune of N22 Million.
Nollywood actress turned singer Tonto Dikeh in recent interview disclosed her departure from D’banj’s record label DB Records, citing ‘business reasons’, as the cause. She has made no return to music since then.
Quote Credit: Joey Akan of Pulse Nigeria
- Nathaniel Bassey Tap Into #HallelujahChallenge Campaign with New Song, Download Nathaniel Bassey — Olowogbogboro Ft. Wale Adenuga - June 28, 2017
- Recession Hit MTN as They Pull Out as Sponsor for ” Who Want To Be A Millionaire ” Show - June 28, 2017
- D’banj Unveils Artwork & Released Date for ” King Don Come ” Album - June 27, 2017
- Download LuluRaps — An Eye for a Naira EP, As LuluRaps Takes Us on Lyrical Journey of Not Abandoning One’s Visions or Dreams Just for Profit - June 26, 2017
- NANA Menthol Supports The Youth Summit Africa, as Event Design to be Different in Terms of Content and Activities - June 26, 2017
- Wizzy Lion of Africa! Wizkid Wins First Solo BET Awards 2017 Ahead of Davido, AKA and Others - June 24, 2017
- E-Money and I Problem is that We ShowOff and We are Not Into Any Illegal Business — Kcee - June 24, 2017
- Davido Shines At ” 30 Billion ” World Tour In Ulkraine - June 24, 2017
- Dammy Krane’s Issue Is a Case of Implication — 2Baba - June 23, 2017
- Uncensored: Toyo Baby Open Ups on Relationship with Funke Akindele, Departure from Jenifa’s Diary & Her Unofficial Roles with Aunty Funke - June 22, 2017