When others kids are waiting for their parent to buy them toys, chocolate, ice cream and other, Mikaila Ulmer has started her entrepreneurial journey. The 11-year-old girl is probably more successful than you and me.
Hopes, dreams and hard work which started at a lemonade stand have propelled Mikaila Ulmer to incredible success. Sometime s last year, Mikaila Ulmer pitch her idea in front of potentials investors on ABC’s ” Shark Tank “, where she reveals her BeeSweet, a lemonade with her great-grandmother’s secret recipe and a mission to help save a dwindling bee population.
Her pitch that day convinces CEO of Fubu, Daymond John to invest $60,000 in her idea and ever since then the buzz only grew louder from there. Her recent success story was that of Whole Foods‘s millions dollar contract which she lands ahead of conglomerate giants such as Kraft, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Procter & Gamble to land coveted shelf space.
Her precocious response? “I don’t know? Do they make theirs with love?”
Her company, Bee Sweet Lemonade, is the beginning of a Lemonade empire in which the idea came from when she was stung by bees when she was just 4 years old — twice in one week.
“After that I would freak out about the bees — like overreact — and then my parents wanted me to do some research so I would be less afraid. And doing that research I found out how incredibly important pollinators they are, and that they were dying,” Mikaila said. “And I decided to create a product that helped save the bees.”She dug up an old lemonade recipe from her great-grandmother’s cookbook, and added honey — her way of calling attention to the plight of honeybees.
Beekeepers have reported losing 42 percent of their colonies in the past year. That’s the second highest annual loss on record.
Scientists suspect pesticides may be behind the decline, which could threaten our food supply, since bees pollinate crops.
“The pesticides either get into their brain and they can’t find their way back to the hive, or they have the pollen with the pesticides and they feed it to the hive and then the whole hive dies,” Mikaila said.
She and her family started brewing BeeSweet for local events, then bottling it for a pizza shop. Within a few years they had a company on their hands.
“We donate a portion of the profits we make to organizations that help the bees,” Mikaila said.
Some kids her age might not want to give any of their money away, but she’s okay with it.
“It’s solving a problem in this world. That’s what keeps me motivated to do it,” she said.
Whole Foods Market heard about her efforts to save the bees and is now selling her lemonade in 32 stores across four states.
“She’s asking questions about logistics, what retail prices should be, or margins. She’s incredibly sharp,” Whole Foods’ Erin Harper said.
Mikaila’s family helps her run the growing business that is now on track this year to sell nearly 140,000 bottles.
Even with all this work, Mikaila’s parents try to give her time to be a 10-year-old.
“Every weekend she does something that she enjoys. It may be rollerblading this weekend, sleepover this weekend. You create a balance because she is working as hard as she is playing,” her mom said.
Mikaila said BeeSweet will debut two new flavors this summer.
She said seeing so many people buying and enjoying her lemonade makes her want to grow her business even more. So her work continues, with hopes to create a little more buzz for the bees.
Visit Mikaila’s site and show support: Bee Sweet Lemonade
More from my site
- I’M the Most Supportive Rapper in History of African Hip-Hop — M.I Abaga - October 23, 2017
- Peter Okoye Launches Solo Career by Sampling on Mya’s & Blackstreet ” Take Me There ” Song on ” Cool It Down “ - October 23, 2017
- Tillaman Reveals Why He Left Shina Peller’s Record Label - October 23, 2017
- Rapper A-Q Takes Us On Journey of How Nightlife Looks Like Along ” Lekki Express Way ” with Wavy the Creator - October 23, 2017
- Tagbo’s Death : Member’s of Davido’s Crew Reveals Why they Dump Tagbo at General Hospital - October 23, 2017
- Nigerian Rapper Falz Snag Juicy Endorsement Deal With Hennessy - October 22, 2017
- DonYom Reflects on the Memories of His Late Father! SuperMan is in Town - October 21, 2017
- Nigerian Hip-Hop Lovers Reacts to M.I Abaga’s New Track, Where He Channel Other Rappers on Changing the Game & Culture - October 21, 2017
- Nigeria’s RapLord M.I & Chocolate City Sues American Rap Legend Nas for Delivering Wack Verse Despite What they Agreement Upon - October 20, 2017
- Rap Mogul M.I Abaga Fires with Machine Gun, As He Schools Every Rappers About the Game & Culture in New Single ” You Rappers Should Fix Up Your Lives “ - October 20, 2017