When others kids are waiting for their parent to buy them toys, chocolate, ice cream and other, Mikaila Ulmer has started her entrepreneurial journey. The 11-year-old girl is probably more successful than you and me.
Hopes, dreams and hard work which started at a lemonade stand have propelled Mikaila Ulmer to incredible success. Sometime s last year, Mikaila Ulmer pitch her idea in front of potentials investors on ABC’s ” Shark Tank “, where she reveals her BeeSweet, a lemonade with her great-grandmother’s secret recipe and a mission to help save a dwindling bee population.
Her pitch that day convinces CEO of Fubu, Daymond John to invest $60,000 in her idea and ever since then the buzz only grew louder from there. Her recent success story was that of Whole Foods‘s millions dollar contract which she lands ahead of conglomerate giants such as Kraft, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Procter & Gamble to land coveted shelf space.
Her precocious response? “I don’t know? Do they make theirs with love?”
Her company, Bee Sweet Lemonade, is the beginning of a Lemonade empire in which the idea came from when she was stung by bees when she was just 4 years old — twice in one week.
“After that I would freak out about the bees — like overreact — and then my parents wanted me to do some research so I would be less afraid. And doing that research I found out how incredibly important pollinators they are, and that they were dying,” Mikaila said. “And I decided to create a product that helped save the bees.”She dug up an old lemonade recipe from her great-grandmother’s cookbook, and added honey — her way of calling attention to the plight of honeybees.
Beekeepers have reported losing 42 percent of their colonies in the past year. That’s the second highest annual loss on record.
Scientists suspect pesticides may be behind the decline, which could threaten our food supply, since bees pollinate crops.
“The pesticides either get into their brain and they can’t find their way back to the hive, or they have the pollen with the pesticides and they feed it to the hive and then the whole hive dies,” Mikaila said.
She and her family started brewing BeeSweet for local events, then bottling it for a pizza shop. Within a few years they had a company on their hands.
“We donate a portion of the profits we make to organizations that help the bees,” Mikaila said.
Some kids her age might not want to give any of their money away, but she’s okay with it.
“It’s solving a problem in this world. That’s what keeps me motivated to do it,” she said.
Whole Foods Market heard about her efforts to save the bees and is now selling her lemonade in 32 stores across four states.
“She’s asking questions about logistics, what retail prices should be, or margins. She’s incredibly sharp,” Whole Foods’ Erin Harper said.
Mikaila’s family helps her run the growing business that is now on track this year to sell nearly 140,000 bottles.
Even with all this work, Mikaila’s parents try to give her time to be a 10-year-old.
“Every weekend she does something that she enjoys. It may be rollerblading this weekend, sleepover this weekend. You create a balance because she is working as hard as she is playing,” her mom said.
Mikaila said BeeSweet will debut two new flavors this summer.
She said seeing so many people buying and enjoying her lemonade makes her want to grow her business even more. So her work continues, with hopes to create a little more buzz for the bees.
Visit Mikaila’s site and show support: Bee Sweet Lemonade
More from my site
- Highlights as Drake, Celine Dion, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj Shine at Billboard Music Awards 2017 - May 23, 2017
- #FreeAudu : Audu Maikori Sues Gov El Rufia for N10billion Over Human Rights Violation - May 22, 2017
- New Music : Download Terry Apala — Bad Girl Ft. Bisola - May 22, 2017
- Drake Sweep Billboard Music Awards 2017 as Beyonce,, Twenty One Pilots, The Chainsmokers and Others Wins Big + Complete List of Winners at Billboard Music Awards 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Canadian-American Rapper Drake Made History as Biggest Winner at Billboard Music Awards 2017 in a Single Year - May 22, 2017
- Nigerian Music Superstar Wizkid Made History as First Ever Nigerian Artiste to Win Billboard Music Awards 2017 with Three Heaven - May 22, 2017
- Gov Fayose to Fly Body of Late Actress Moji Olaiya Back to Nigeria for Proper Burial - May 20, 2017
- Tiwa Savage’s Husband Teebillz Open Ups on Being a Better Man ” God Deliberately Made Me to Experience those Challenges in Order to Become a Better Person ” - May 20, 2017
- Drake’s One Dance Ghost Magic at Work as Billboard Acknowledge Wizkid Nomination for Billboard Awards 2017 - May 19, 2017
- Baseline Music Act Skales Unveils Cover Art & Tracklist of ” The Never Say Never Guy ” Album - May 19, 2017