Last week Wednesday, Jay Z‘s music streaming site Tidal assemble a wave of celebrities at the Barclay’s Center, to celebrate the company as Tidal Music hits 1 million subscribers, but still yet the service remains dogged by skepticism about whether it can go toe-to-toe with it fellow competitors such as Apple Music, Rhapsody, Pandora and Spotify.
Early this year rap mogul and entrepreneur Sean ” Jay Z ” Cartel, alongside with several celebrities such as Usher, Madonna, Kanye West, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, J-Cole, Taylor Swift and others unveiled a start-up music streaming platform that was described as an industry game changer for one that would give artists greater equity in the business and more of the royalties.
An attorney and Jay Z‘s Tidal competitor Pandora users , speaking with CNBC, says that : “I don’t know what the hell it is,” shouting over thumping music that filled the corridors of the Brooklyn-based arena. He joked that it might have been the name of a musical group he’d never heard of.
However, some say the owners appear to be facing a tough lesson in running a startup in the hot yet mercurial technology sector: star power doesn’t always equal success. This is especially true when you’re competition is Apple, Google Music and Spotify, and music consumers still insist on receiving at least some services for either free or cheap.
“No one is going to join a site just because famous artists own it for the same reason that no label can succeed selling music from its own website,” said Peter Alhadeff, music and business management professor at Berklee College of Music.
Some experts still think that perhaps Tidal Music and its owners Jay Z may not actually be out to change the game for all artists, but rather seek something much bigger for themselves. It’s a critique that’s dogged the service since its inception. For more on this story read the full CNBC report.
Photo Credit: Patently Apple
More from my site
- The Aristocrat Out With Another Danceable Song ” Funaab Girl ” (Freesyle) + Download The Aristocrat — Funaab Girl (Freestyle) Ft Bravoor - September 23, 2017
- Have You Ever Forget What It Feels Like to Be In Love, Tiwa Savage Will Remind You In Her Sugarcane EP - September 22, 2017
- Which Nigerian Artistes Had the Best International Music Collaboration in 2017 - September 21, 2017
- From Mr Eazi to Davido, Now D’banj! Eedris Abdulkareem Had Harsh Words for D’Banj, While Glorified Don Jazzy - September 21, 2017
- Whatever He Touches Turns Gold! Wizkid & Drake’s Romance Hit Song ” One Dance ” Breaks Guinness Book of Records - September 21, 2017
- Global Sound! Afrobeat Goes Global as Wizkid Takes Future on New Ride of African Sound in ” Everytime ” - September 20, 2017
- French Montana & Ty Dolla Sign Revamp Mr Eazi’s ” Leg Over ” Remix with Major Lazer with New Flavour - September 16, 2017
- Ice Prince Returns Back to His Hip-Hop Root in ” Owonikoko ” Featuring Olamide - September 16, 2017
- The Aristocrat Releases Visual for His ” Wo’s ” Viral Cover by Olamide, Directed by Mofti Pro - September 15, 2017
- Developing Story : Rising Star CKay Rides on the Free Publicity of ” Who The Fu**k Is CKay ” Hullabalu, As He Releases ” Who The Fu**k Is CKay ” EP - September 9, 2017