International Nigerian music star Davido is arguably one of the biggest star in African continent right now, and ever since the O.B.O crooner came into limelight scene in 2011 with his hit single “ Dami Duro ”, he has continue blazing hot ever since.
Just recently, the DMW‘s boss Davido took his himself to greater heights with global recognition – from lucrative deal with Sony Music/RCA Records to mega collaborations with Meek Mill, Tinashe and magazine features such as Fader Magazine – but for Davido, Africa is where his heart is.
In recent interview Davido with Guardian Life Magazine, he talks about why Africa will always remain his focus, his ultimate goal as a musician, those never-ending rumours and more.
Read excerpts below.
On his deal with Sony: First of all, I didn’t even want to take the deal because I didn’t need it. I was doing tours all over Africa with 50,000 to 80,000, people so it was like why am I signing the deal? They tried to fix me up with a producer and I decided to come home, but I’m still signed to them, it’s going good. They have realized how much potential is here because even when I am all over the world it is my African songs that even the oyibo people f*** with.
On his collaboration with Tinashe: The collaboration was as a result of the Sony deal. Don’t get me wrong, Tinashe is a talented artist but it wasn’t my style. My style is just the Nigerian style like I said before, I can’t sing American music pass Chris Brown and Chris Brown cannot come and sing Nigerian music pass me.
On making music for the African market: I had to look at what I had, which was a whole continent. That is what all of those guys in America want. When you’re over there all of them want to be here. We need to just know what we are worth.
On his baby mama drama: All those people out there saying I have too many babies, do you know how many babies they have killed? At least I can confidently say I have never told any girl to have an abortion. I am not saying having a baby without marriage is good, but to me babies are blessings.
On rumours about him: You know they always attack me, people always say s*** about me but I always hit them back with the music, which is the most important thing. People always say my dad is giving me money when was the last time my dad gave me money? All the kids came together, we bought our dad a N409 million car for his birthday.
On his goal as a musician: My goal would be to keep doing what I am doing and get to that legend status. I want to bring up other artists like Mayorkun, who dropped his single Sade. I am 24 now, I cannot be doing music when I’m 30, I’ll probably drop two albums after this but I want to be done by the time I’m 29 or 30. I want to have a big media house and go into other things like filming. I know eight presidents personally so you can imagine what I can do, like youth empowerment.
More from my site
- Wizkid Announces Summer Mixtape ” Sound of The Other Side ” Releases Date - May 24, 2017
- Has Wizkid Dances His Way to Billboard Awards, Can He Win His First Ever Solo BET Awards 2017 - May 24, 2017
- Highlights as Drake, Celine Dion, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj Shine at Billboard Music Awards 2017 - May 23, 2017
- #FreeAudu : Audu Maikori Sues Gov El Rufia for N10billion Over Human Rights Violation - May 22, 2017
- New Music : Download Terry Apala — Bad Girl Ft. Bisola - May 22, 2017
- Drake Sweep Billboard Music Awards 2017 as Beyonce,, Twenty One Pilots, The Chainsmokers and Others Wins Big + Complete List of Winners at Billboard Music Awards 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Canadian-American Rapper Drake Made History as Biggest Winner at Billboard Music Awards 2017 in a Single Year - May 22, 2017
- Nigerian Music Superstar Wizkid Made History as First Ever Nigerian Artiste to Win Billboard Music Awards 2017 with Three Heaven - May 22, 2017
- Gov Fayose to Fly Body of Late Actress Moji Olaiya Back to Nigeria for Proper Burial - May 20, 2017
- Tiwa Savage’s Husband Teebillz Open Ups on Being a Better Man ” God Deliberately Made Me to Experience those Challenges in Order to Become a Better Person ” - May 20, 2017