Early this year, Nigerian pop star Davido signs a lucrative recording and distribution deal with Sony Music and ever since then African and Nigeria music lovers are anticipating how the deal will help African and Nigerian music to cross over into the international market.
The DMW boss and HKN Music executive Davido has begun his crossover into the US market by dropping a single with American pop-star Tinashe under the imprint of Sony Music.
Just few hours ago, Sony Music Entertainment releases the visual for the single called, “ How Long ”.
He recently spoke to Vice magazine about his inspiration behind making the song and video, saying
- For the song, I recorded that record about a year ago. One of the executives at Sony International had the record. He played it for Tinashe, and he asked me if I would like to put her on the record. I thought it was a great idea. We just did it. We shot the video in Malibu. It was beautiful. I feel like it’s something different. I call it Afro Fusion. It has all kinds of music. It has the Afrobeats, it has the house music. Everything just fused together.
He also spoke about the emergence of West African music in mainstream American music, to which he replied,
- It’s something I knew that would always happen. The vibe is cool. People love the Afrobeats. If you think about it, I call it World Music because over here in Africa we have people that do hip-hop as well. I don’t think they’re using our style. It’s more of like they’re rating us and appreciating the sound.
On the process of making new album Son of Mercy?
- I wouldn’t say it’s different process. I had my producers. The only producer that I had outside of Africa was Dun Deal out of Atlanta. Everything was natural.
More from my site
- I’M the Most Supportive Rapper in History of African Hip-Hop — M.I Abaga - October 23, 2017
- Peter Okoye Launches Solo Career by Sampling on Mya’s & Blackstreet ” Take Me There ” Song on ” Cool It Down “ - October 23, 2017
- Tillaman Reveals Why He Left Shina Peller’s Record Label - October 23, 2017
- Rapper A-Q Takes Us On Journey of How Nightlife Looks Like Along ” Lekki Express Way ” with Wavy the Creator - October 23, 2017
- Tagbo’s Death : Member’s of Davido’s Crew Reveals Why they Dump Tagbo at General Hospital - October 23, 2017
- Nigerian Rapper Falz Snag Juicy Endorsement Deal With Hennessy - October 22, 2017
- DonYom Reflects on the Memories of His Late Father! SuperMan is in Town - October 21, 2017
- Nigerian Hip-Hop Lovers Reacts to M.I Abaga’s New Track, Where He Channel Other Rappers on Changing the Game & Culture - October 21, 2017
- Nigeria’s RapLord M.I & Chocolate City Sues American Rap Legend Nas for Delivering Wack Verse Despite What they Agreement Upon - October 20, 2017
- Rap Mogul M.I Abaga Fires with Machine Gun, As He Schools Every Rappers About the Game & Culture in New Single ” You Rappers Should Fix Up Your Lives “ - October 20, 2017