On July 22, 2016, business mogul and owner of Upfront and Personal, a booking agency in Nigeria, Paul Okoye shut down the Barclay Center in New York with his One Africa Music Fest concert, which was regarded as a historical avenue of promoting and also putting African music on the global map.
The music concert was regarded as biggest music concert from African continent to the world with electrifying performances biggest music stars from African continent such as Wizkid, Davido, Don Jazzy, Praiz, Flavour, Tiwa Savage, Banky W, Timaya, Seun Kuti, Diamond and Nigerian born American singer Jidenna.
According to report, says that One Africa Music Fest, which have the gathering of about 15,000 African diasporans from all over the United States in New York, gulped about one billion naira in revenue.
The One Africa Music Fest was put together by Nigerian based company Upfront and Personal, an agency that serves as an intermediary helping to broker endorsement deals for many artists in Nigeria’s music business. Contrary to the success of the first event in New York, the second edition is coming down to Houston and its will be headliners by biggest and legend in Africa music continent such D’banj, 2Baba, P-Square and others.
The Africans legends for the One Africa Music Fest in Houston will hold on 22nd next month, which was regarded as a huge disrespect to the African community in States, stakeholders, show promoters who are working hard everyday of put afrobeat into the mainstream of American music.
The Houston version of African legends will give fans headache on which show they should by tickets for between AFRIMA, MTV MAMA in South Africa and One Africa Music Fest.
Here are issues Paul Okoye and his team have set for them of Choosing a Date that Conflicts with MTV MAMA and AFRIMMA Awards?
(1) The AFRIMA Music Awards as already scheduled months ago and has been marketed since the beginning of the year. But the Houston event, will be holding on five days after AFRIMMA in the same market, which is not good idea in the hand of organiser and a disrespectful decision to all industry stakeholders and the eco-system at large.
In fact, it’s not a good decision by organizer putting the brains of fans at work on choosing which ticket to buy or not, in a situation of choosing AFRIMA or watching Africans legends.
(2) Another interesting saga is that One Africa Music Fest in Houston, is happening same day ( I mean October 22nd, 2016) with MTV MAMA in south Africa, which is by far biggest brand in African continent. This means that fans are forced to choose watch the Africans legends or MTV? In another perspective artistes that are nominated for the event having to pick one event to perform or attend?
After the success of the first edition Paul Okoye’s and his team don’t need to pull any stunt in other to score point of promoting the African music in the global market or could I say they lack clear vision and strategy for this second edition.
More from my site
- Twelve Years After Dropping Out, Mark Zuckerberg Bags Harvard Honourary Degree ” Mom I Always Told You I’d Come Back and Get My Degree ” - May 26, 2017
- Report : D’banj Reportedly Expecting A Child With His Wife In US - May 26, 2017
- Kcee Fires Shot at Harrysong Song-Writing Claims ” When I won Star Quest in 2002, Harrysong was Still in the Village ” - May 26, 2017
- Wizkid Announces Summer Mixtape ” Sound of The Other Side ” Releases Date - May 24, 2017
- Has Wizkid Dances His Way to Billboard Awards, Can He Win His First Ever Solo BET Awards 2017 - May 24, 2017
- Highlights as Drake, Celine Dion, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj Shine at Billboard Music Awards 2017 - May 23, 2017
- #FreeAudu : Audu Maikori Sues Gov El Rufia for N10billion Over Human Rights Violation - May 22, 2017
- New Music : Download Terry Apala — Bad Girl Ft. Bisola - May 22, 2017
- Drake Sweep Billboard Music Awards 2017 as Beyonce,, Twenty One Pilots, The Chainsmokers and Others Wins Big + Complete List of Winners at Billboard Music Awards 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Canadian-American Rapper Drake Made History as Biggest Winner at Billboard Music Awards 2017 in a Single Year - May 22, 2017