On July 22, 2016, business mogul and owner of Upfront and Personal, a booking agency in Nigeria, Paul Okoye shut down the Barclay Center in New York with his One Africa Music Fest concert, which was regarded as a historical avenue of promoting and also putting African music on the global map.
The music concert was regarded as biggest music concert from African continent to the world with electrifying performances biggest music stars from African continent such as Wizkid, Davido, Don Jazzy, Praiz, Flavour, Tiwa Savage, Banky W, Timaya, Seun Kuti, Diamond and Nigerian born American singer Jidenna.
According to report, says that One Africa Music Fest, which have the gathering of about 15,000 African diasporans from all over the United States in New York, gulped about one billion naira in revenue.
The One Africa Music Fest was put together by Nigerian based company Upfront and Personal, an agency that serves as an intermediary helping to broker endorsement deals for many artists in Nigeria’s music business. Contrary to the success of the first event in New York, the second edition is coming down to Houston and its will be headliners by biggest and legend in Africa music continent such D’banj, 2Baba, P-Square and others.
The Africans legends for the One Africa Music Fest in Houston will hold on 22nd next month, which was regarded as a huge disrespect to the African community in States, stakeholders, show promoters who are working hard everyday of put afrobeat into the mainstream of American music.
The Houston version of African legends will give fans headache on which show they should by tickets for between AFRIMA, MTV MAMA in South Africa and One Africa Music Fest.
Here are issues Paul Okoye and his team have set for them of Choosing a Date that Conflicts with MTV MAMA and AFRIMMA Awards?
(1) The AFRIMA Music Awards as already scheduled months ago and has been marketed since the beginning of the year. But the Houston event, will be holding on five days after AFRIMMA in the same market, which is not good idea in the hand of organiser and a disrespectful decision to all industry stakeholders and the eco-system at large.
In fact, it’s not a good decision by organizer putting the brains of fans at work on choosing which ticket to buy or not, in a situation of choosing AFRIMA or watching Africans legends.
(2) Another interesting saga is that One Africa Music Fest in Houston, is happening same day ( I mean October 22nd, 2016) with MTV MAMA in south Africa, which is by far biggest brand in African continent. This means that fans are forced to choose watch the Africans legends or MTV? In another perspective artistes that are nominated for the event having to pick one event to perform or attend?
After the success of the first edition Paul Okoye’s and his team don’t need to pull any stunt in other to score point of promoting the African music in the global market or could I say they lack clear vision and strategy for this second edition.
More from my site
- The Aristocrat Out With Another Danceable Song ” Funaab Girl ” (Freesyle) + Download The Aristocrat — Funaab Girl (Freestyle) Ft Bravoor - September 23, 2017
- Have You Ever Forget What It Feels Like to Be In Love, Tiwa Savage Will Remind You In Her Sugarcane EP - September 22, 2017
- Which Nigerian Artistes Had the Best International Music Collaboration in 2017 - September 21, 2017
- From Mr Eazi to Davido, Now D’banj! Eedris Abdulkareem Had Harsh Words for D’Banj, While Glorified Don Jazzy - September 21, 2017
- Whatever He Touches Turns Gold! Wizkid & Drake’s Romance Hit Song ” One Dance ” Breaks Guinness Book of Records - September 21, 2017
- Global Sound! Afrobeat Goes Global as Wizkid Takes Future on New Ride of African Sound in ” Everytime ” - September 20, 2017
- French Montana & Ty Dolla Sign Revamp Mr Eazi’s ” Leg Over ” Remix with Major Lazer with New Flavour - September 16, 2017
- Ice Prince Returns Back to His Hip-Hop Root in ” Owonikoko ” Featuring Olamide - September 16, 2017
- The Aristocrat Releases Visual for His ” Wo’s ” Viral Cover by Olamide, Directed by Mofti Pro - September 15, 2017
- Developing Story : Rising Star CKay Rides on the Free Publicity of ” Who The Fu**k Is CKay ” Hullabalu, As He Releases ” Who The Fu**k Is CKay ” EP - September 9, 2017