One of Nigeria’s leading network provider Etisalat Nigeria has been taken over by unknown Nigerians banks, according to report Dailytrust.
The takeover of Etisalat Nigeria was due to the result of debts the company incurred over the years. Another sources speaking exclusive to TechPoint disclosed that Etisalat obtained loans — amounting to $1.72 billion — from a consortium of foreign and Nigerian banks in 2015 to facilitate reconstruction and expansion of Etisalat’s network operations here in Nigeria.
However, the unknown banks claimed that they are being pressured by Assets Management Company of Nigeria (AMCON) to reclaim the loan by all means.
According to the unidentified NCC officials, the NCC as the regulatory body for telecoms in Nigeria, has tried best possible means, interacting with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to see that the banks would not have the right to take over. However, as of Tuesday, the NCC approved the takeover, which will occur today.
An unidentified Etisalat official blames their inability to pay back the incurred loan on the current recession in Nigeria. The banks said to be involved in the takeover are Access Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank and Zenith Bank.
What does this mean for Etisalat Nigeria?
Etisalat Nigeria is a subsidiary of Etisalat, a multinational United Arab Emirate-based telecommunications services provider, which operates in about seventeen countries, in Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
There are certain rights that parent companies have over their subsidiary companies, and before a takeover can ensue, these rights will have to be examined.
However, with this takeover, does this mean that Etisalat Nigeria is no longer under the protection of her parent company in UAE? And what will be the fate of the employees and subscribers with this acquisition?
Report Quote: TechPoint.ng
More from my site
- NANA Menthol Supports The Youth Summit Africa, as Event Design to be Different in Terms of Content and Activities - June 26, 2017
- Wizzy Lion of Africa! Wizkid Wins First Solo BET Awards 2017 Ahead of Davido, AKA and Others - June 24, 2017
- E-Money and I Problem is that We ShowOff and We are Not Into Any Illegal Business — Kcee - June 24, 2017
- Davido Shines At ” 30 Billion ” World Tour In Ulkraine - June 24, 2017
- Dammy Krane’s Issue Is a Case of Implication — 2Baba - June 23, 2017
- Uncensored: Toyo Baby Open Ups on Relationship with Funke Akindele, Departure from Jenifa’s Diary & Her Unofficial Roles with Aunty Funke - June 22, 2017
- Has Alao-Akala Died Politically? | The Policeman Who Became A Governor - June 21, 2017
- Kim Kardashian New Beauty Line Sold Out in Millions Within Three Hours of Launch - June 21, 2017
- DJ Khaled Launches His Headphones - June 21, 2017
- After Months of Crisis, CEO of Uber Travis Kalanick Resigns - June 21, 2017