#TurkeyCoupAttempt : 60 killed & 754 Detained as Turkish Military Coup Fails
On Friday, 15th, July 2016, a fraction of Turkish military — branded as the “Peace at Home Movement”, launched a coup attempt aimed at toppling President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government, which eventually fail.
According to several top media houses such as CNN, BBC, CNBC and others reported that major infrastructures in the Turkish capital, Istanbul, were closed down including the city’s main airport and fighter jets were spotted in the skies.
The coup leaders, who claim to speak for the entire Turkish Armed Forces, said they have done so in the name of protecting democracy — despite the fact that Erdogan and his party were democratically elected. “Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedom,” the statement said.
However, in an telephone to CNN, the President of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said that he remained leader of the country and the head of its army.
Since the fight broke out, the state-run news agency Andalou agency reports that Turkish authorities have detained 754 members of the armed forces after the coup attempt that used tanks and attack helicopters to try to overthrow the government.
They also report that an official in the president’s office has put the number of people illed at 60 people.
The attempt to overthrow Erdogan’s government would ultimately fail, owing to the determination of government supporters, who trooped out to the streets to protest and fight back.
Photo Credit: Getty Images/ Gokhan Tan/ Defne Karadeniz/Bella Naija
More from my site
- Forget Wizkid and Davido! Olamide Is Nigeria’s Highest Paid Artist — Alex Ozone - September 25, 2017
- Beat FM Lagos, OAP Toolz Oniru Confirms Pregnancy Loss With New Photos - September 25, 2017
- Kim Kardashian Revealed Epic Revelation How She Fell In Love with Kanye West - September 25, 2017
- Singer Skales Revealed Amazing Secret How Olamide Saves His Career - September 25, 2017
- Copy Of The Legal Termination Letter Peter Okoye Sent To Their Lawyer, Festus Keyamo Over P-Square Split Contractual Agreement - September 25, 2017
- P-Square is Over! The Untold Truth Behind Peter and Paul Okoye Split Saga - September 25, 2017
- The Aristocrat Out With Another Danceable Song ” Funaab Girl ” (Freesyle) + Download The Aristocrat — Funaab Girl (Freestyle) Ft Bravoor - September 23, 2017
- Have You Ever Forget What It Feels Like to Be In Love, Tiwa Savage Will Remind You In Her Sugarcane EP - September 22, 2017
- Which Nigerian Artistes Had the Best International Music Collaboration in 2017 - September 21, 2017
- From Mr Eazi to Davido, Now D’banj! Eedris Abdulkareem Had Harsh Words for D’Banj, While Glorified Don Jazzy - September 21, 2017