Places of worship are quite awe-inspiring.
With great architecture and positioning, many tourists are quite drawn to certain destinations mainly to get a feel of the monumental place of worship located there.
Think Taj Mahal or Vatican City – these places attract throngs of tourists and travellers.
In the spirit of Ramadan and all that it stands for, Jovago.com brings you this amazing list of the largest mosques in Africa whose history often date back to prehistoric times, these mosques aren’t mere buildings but hold much more value and relevance.
Here are interesting list of Top 6 Largest Mosques in Africa
Al-Azhar Mosque, Cairo
Built in the prehistoric times, this mosque covers about 85,000 sq ft. Its name translates to mean ‘the mosque of the most resplendent’, this is reminiscent of its beauty and splendour. With a capacity of up to 20,000 people, this is definitely one of the largest of its type on the African continent. It continues to stand as symbolic of Islamic Cairo.
Conakry Grand Mosque
Built in 1982, this grand mosque definitely lives up to its name. It is regarded to as the 4th largest mosque in Africa and the largest in Sub-Saharan Africa. Within its walls and premises, the mosque could accommodate more 20,000 worshipers. The mosque also incorporates a Camayanne Mausoleum which houses some prominent citizens like Samure Ture and Sékou Turé amongst others.
Emir Abdelkader Mosque, Constantine
Since 1994, Algeria has been home to this historic mosque. Its architectural style is pristine in execution. Not only is it breathtaking from the outside, the interior could make a believer out of an atheist. It could accommodate up to 15,000 worshipers.
Ghaddafi National Mosque, Kampala
Relatively new in comparison to the others, this religious edifice located on the Kampala Hill was completed in 2006. In fact, it was commissioned by the deceased but legendary Libyan president Muammar Ghaddafi as a gift to the Ugandan country and also one to advance the cause of the muslim population. It is now referred to as the Ugandan National Mosque.
Hassan II Mosque, Casablanca
Since 1993, Greater Casablanca, Morocco has been home to this 970,000sq ft mosque. It is outrightly the largest mosque in Morocco and Africa! It ranks as 7th in world rating. With the tallest minaret, it looks out onto the Atlantic Ocean. Over a 100,000 worshipers can be gathered within its walls and premises!
Juma Masjid Mosque, Durban
Dating back to 1881, it was the first of kind to be built in Durban. With its eight minarets, this mosque is capable of accommodating up to 6,000 worshipers. It is renowned as the oldest and largest in the Southern Hemisphere.
More from my site
- Highlights as Drake, Celine Dion, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj Shine at Billboard Music Awards 2017 - May 23, 2017
- #FreeAudu : Audu Maikori Sues Gov El Rufia for N10billion Over Human Rights Violation - May 22, 2017
- New Music : Download Terry Apala — Bad Girl Ft. Bisola - May 22, 2017
- Drake Sweep Billboard Music Awards 2017 as Beyonce,, Twenty One Pilots, The Chainsmokers and Others Wins Big + Complete List of Winners at Billboard Music Awards 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Canadian-American Rapper Drake Made History as Biggest Winner at Billboard Music Awards 2017 in a Single Year - May 22, 2017
- Nigerian Music Superstar Wizkid Made History as First Ever Nigerian Artiste to Win Billboard Music Awards 2017 with Three Heaven - May 22, 2017
- Gov Fayose to Fly Body of Late Actress Moji Olaiya Back to Nigeria for Proper Burial - May 20, 2017
- Tiwa Savage’s Husband Teebillz Open Ups on Being a Better Man ” God Deliberately Made Me to Experience those Challenges in Order to Become a Better Person ” - May 20, 2017
- Drake’s One Dance Ghost Magic at Work as Billboard Acknowledge Wizkid Nomination for Billboard Awards 2017 - May 19, 2017
- Baseline Music Act Skales Unveils Cover Art & Tracklist of ” The Never Say Never Guy ” Album - May 19, 2017