Just like his late father Dr Olusola Saraki, in the 2nd republic era in Nigeria history.
Former governor of Kwara State has been elected the president of the 8th Senate.
The newly senate president elect, Senator Bukola Saraki, of the All Progressives Congress, APC, defeated his party’s preferred candidate and strong opposition in the contests Senator Ahmed Lawan, to emerge the Senate president.
He was nominated by Sani Yerima and seconded by Dino Melaye.
Mr. Saraki has been sworn into office.
The election for the office of Senate Deputy President is still ongoing. Immediate past deputy, Ike Ekweremadu, is contesting against Ali Ndume from Borno State.
He is expected to win the race following a power sharing deal that had the minority but influential PDP back the new senate president, Bukola Saraki.
Our earlier update indicating Mr. Ekweremadu had been elected unopposed was in error and is regretted.
Report Credit: Premium Times
More from my site
- Uncensored: Toyo Baby Open Ups on Relationship with Funke Akindele, Departure from Jenifa’s Diary & Her Unofficial Roles with Aunty Funke - June 22, 2017
- Has Alao-Akala Died Politically? | The Policeman Who Became A Governor - June 21, 2017
- Kim Kardashian New Beauty Line Sold Out in Millions Within Three Hours of Launch - June 21, 2017
- DJ Khaled Launches His Headphones - June 21, 2017
- After Months of Crisis, CEO of Uber Travis Kalanick Resigns - June 21, 2017
- Breaking : President Buhari Suffers Speech Impairement In The UK - June 20, 2017
- American Celebrity Power Couple Jay-Z and Beyoncé Welcomes Twins — Taye & Kehinde, Born Ahead of Time - June 20, 2017
- Foreign & Nigerian Banks Take Over Etisalat Nigeria Due to $1.72 billion Debt - June 20, 2017
- Moving to APC or Not, Misiliu Obanikoro Denies Report of Joining APC - June 20, 2017
- From Messi to Ronaldo, Now Jose Mourinho Accused of Tax Fraud in Spain - June 20, 2017