Early 2016, Nigerian pop star Davido signed a lucrative recording deal America’s major label Sony Music Entertainment/RCA Records, which was regarded as biggest deal from an African artistes to the world.
The deal with Sony Music/RCA Records sees that Davido was unable to released a single track in 11 months, while his first track under the label imprint ” Gbagbe Oshi ” was not able to be view on YouTube in African continent in its first week due to the terms and clause of the contract. According to reports, says that Sony Music/RCA Records will distribute and market Davido‘s music to anywhere in the world that African music has been consumed.
In early 2017, Davido took to social media to shows his dissatisfaction of Sony Music/RCA Records handling his music career. In the Snapchat post, he first announced the unceremonious departure of his longtime friend and manager Kamal Ajiboye who orchestral groundbreaking Sony Music deal with caption:
Fuck all that international shit! It’s cool but fuck it. I am back to the basics,” He wrote on the platform.
However, when fans keep waiting for first project from him under the label imprint, he hinted out that he owns all the master, though in the last 12 months, we have seen that Davido has gone through a lot development because in recent time we have seen him with new sound that are situate-able and marketable for Sony.
Just few days ago, Davido uploaded another post social media saying:
“Creative control returned, new music in 2 days.” This can obvious dig at Sony Music who gave him money and he signed on to a contract that gave them total control over his creative process and mode of release and distribution. This has cause missed reaction on what’s going on between Davido and Sony’s team.
In an exclusive interview with Pulse Music, General Manager of Sony Music West African, Micheal Ugwu says Davido’s deal is still fine with them.
“Everything is still happening within his contract with us. He has a deal for the rest of the world, and a slightly different deal in Africa. But everything is cool ”.
” Another source close to Davido, who spoke with Pulse Music on condition of anonymity said, “Davido’s deal has been modified. In Africa, he has more freedom now, and can release music under his name, by himself, instead of using his DMW record label.” The new arrangement has already kicked into play.
Davido‘s recent track titled ‘If’, was produced by Tekno, and has a video shot by Nigerian filmmaker, Director Q. There is no Sony Music or RCA Records signage in the visual.
More from my site
- Nigerian Musician Davido Called Out for Failing to Honour a Promise he Made on Poor Journalist ” The Wire Transfer, Davido & His Namesake Saga ” - May 27, 2017
- D’Prince is Here! Kokomaster D’banj Welcomes Baby Boy - May 26, 2017
- Twelve Years After Dropping Out, Mark Zuckerberg Bags Harvard Honourary Degree ” Mom I Always Told You I’d Come Back and Get My Degree ” - May 26, 2017
- Report : D’banj Reportedly Expecting A Child With His Wife In US - May 26, 2017
- Kcee Fires Shot at Harrysong Song-Writing Claims ” When I won Star Quest in 2002, Harrysong was Still in the Village ” - May 26, 2017
- Wizkid Announces Summer Mixtape ” Sound of The Other Side ” Releases Date - May 24, 2017
- Has Wizkid Dances His Way to Billboard Awards, Can He Win His First Ever Solo BET Awards 2017 - May 24, 2017
- Highlights as Drake, Celine Dion, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj Shine at Billboard Music Awards 2017 - May 23, 2017
- #FreeAudu : Audu Maikori Sues Gov El Rufia for N10billion Over Human Rights Violation - May 22, 2017
- New Music : Download Terry Apala — Bad Girl Ft. Bisola - May 22, 2017